Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Freeforming Turned Me Into A Creative Being











I decided to stop doing any kind of hair style with my dreads because my scalp doesn't like to be pulled this way and that. And my dreads like to do their own thing. They don't like me putting my hands in them every 5 seconds to straighten them out. They know what they should look like.
They prefer to move ,twist and turn in their own direction.
So since I don't do any fancy hair do's anymore I have had plenty more time for crafting. I guess some may say putting handmade dread beads on your dreads to be fancy but I call them power beads.
They are fun and you get to be even more of a living work of art. I don't wear the beads all of the time but every now and then I like to put a few in depending on my mood.
I also make cloth art doll using recycled fabrics and materials that are also recycled. Since my journey of freeform dreading began I have felt extremely creative . It's like my anntenae are picking up creative sparks from here and there.
Keeping my hands out of my dreads lets them flourish and be how they want to be and helps me to be my authentic self.
I have learned through the years that the less I do to my dreads the better the do. They get thicker,they get longer,and they are very easy to care for. When you love them no matter how long or short they are they feel it and become healthier and healthier with each passing day.

5 comments:

  1. Your words are beautiful and inspiring as are your beautiful creations pictured here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trina,
    Where did you get the bead to decorate? Your hair is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I made these beads myself. I use polymer clay and shaped them and painted them and decortated some with rhinestones.

    ReplyDelete