Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Freeform Dreadlocks And Acceptance

A lot of people when they decide to let there hair dread they will look to others on how there own hair should look just as if they were  wearing a new hairstyle. For me it is a journey into discovering who I am. Because no two heads  full of dreads are alike.  Even if you both have the supposed  same ancestry there will be variations in texture.  Lifestyle has  a lot   to  do with it as well. What things you put on your  head.  The list goes on.  Not everyone decides to let there hair dread for mystical,religious,or  spiritual reasons.  Some like to have them as fashion. 

After having dreadlocks for little over 17 yrs I have learned through personal experience that my locks are a part of who I am.  Each lock contains energy.  I worked at an  health food store back in 1999 where one of my coworkers who had dreadlocks told me"You locks are your antennae."  After he said that I came home from working and just as I was stepping outside to go to my backyard I felt an electrical charge hit one of my  dreadlocks.  For all of the debunkers out there it  was not stormy night with lots of lightning striking. It was a normal clear night. 

It seems the longer my dreadlocks get the more attention they  draw.  I don't have perfectly manicured salon locks so people around here get confused. I have long dreads,short dreads,medium length dreads and little tiny baby dreads.  My head is working it all out on  her own and does not need assistance via manipulation and tight hair style causing  extreme damage.


Through the years I have learned to not try and have a goal of having my dreadlocks look like anyone but me.  That is the inner journey that I embarked upon from the moment I decided to surrender to nature and let that energy flow. 

My Dreadlock  journey is not for everyone. I do feel like it is a calling to some degree.  I realized that all of those years of manipulation of my hair to achieve acceptance from peers,family members,and supposed friends was a test.  What did I learn.  I learned that chemicals on scalp can affect the way you see the world.
I learned that   wearing your  hair really tightly on your scalp can suppress and torture your sense of well being.  And I learned to stay away from commercial products.

Some of these companies that are saying that they are African American Hair Care Products are putting petroleum in their hair creams and oils.   And a lot these African American Hair Care Product companies are not run by African Americans.


I have also learned that a lot of people in this world  are trapped in the notion that they can have long  dreadlocks instantly .  Well you can  if you go off and get some dreadlock extensions. If you are called to let your hair lock naturally without any manipulation you will know.  You will,like I had,a resistance to combs,brushes,picks etc.  I went through  stages. And everyone does in her or his own way.

I began to realize through this journey how sensitive I am.  And that I an empath.  I changed the way I  eat and what I eat.  I meditate more and spend more time in nature. I start to see my life's path more clearly and learn how to listen more clearing.  The clear message I receive today in this moment is that in order to get in touch with your higher self you require time to your self away from tvs,radios,cell phones, computers,bossy relatives  etc...
I go outside everyday and bathe in the sunshine,listen to the birds chirping, watch the squirrels do their par cor adventures and connect with what is real.


Warm Regards,
Trina  Sandress


2 comments: