Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dreadlockssite











































I just wanted let those who don't know of a website that is dedicated to educating all in various stages of the natural dreadlock journey. I have learned so much from them in order to keep my dreads healthy and strong.


























The man who started this site is Soaring Eagle. He has had his dreads for over 20 years and in my opinion he provides some great info and resources on topics ranging from dread maintenance,dreadwax removal, and dreadlock adornments.


























The site also has a lot of groups to chat about important issues such as sustainable gardening,vegetarian and vegan lifestyles,yoga and more.


























I didn't expect to find a wide range of interests here. I found Soaring Eagle on a you tube video and saw the web address for dreadlockssite.com and I decided to check it out. It is a place I use often when I am perplexed about this and that with my locks.


























I had purchased a dread wax removal shampoo from a company I found out about through this wonderfully resourceful website. It was really successful but I felt I needed more just in case. So I found out that the makers of this product aren't making anymore at the moment so now I was quite confused as to what to do.


























I decided to jump on to this awesome site and found an answer to my question of another method of removing dread wax. I read this story about a woman who had applied a heavy amount of wax to their dreads and used Dawn dish soap to remove it. I tried it and it worked incredibly. Since I don't have much money right now to buy another dread soap I think I may use some of the dawn soap,some tea tree oil and water to make my own dread shampoo.













I stopped using the baking soda rinses because it leaves my scalp flaky and itchy even if I do acv(apple cider vinegar) rinse afterwards I still get that flaky like dandruff. I have read on the dreadlockssite that the hardness of the water can have a lot to do with it. So I have just been using dawn soap to wash,and then follow up with applecide vinegar tea tree oil ,and water rinse. They seems to be working the best for me right now.


























I think finding what works for you from each step of the dread journey is the key to keeping a healthy and strong head of dreadlocks. I have been currently using jojoba oil on my dreads after I cleanse them. But I would like my dreadlocks to feel a lot softer so I have decided to look for some shea butter because I heard that it is a great moisturizing oil for people with coarser textured hair. I will keep posted on what it does for my dreads.







































I reflect back on the days when I couldn't wait to dye my hair a fun and crazy color. Unfortunately for me the dread coloring journey was a very destructive one. So I have lost some length to my locks because of it. The bleaching really took its toll on my pour locks. So for about 4yrs I have stopped dyeing my dreads with chemicals. I have been using rosemary tea as an alternative. I grow fresh rosemary in my front yard in profusion. So I can use as much as I want. I get a big stock pot and fill the whole pot with fresh rosemary. Then I may throw in fresh sage ,peppermint, or spearmint (which I also grow in my garden). I fill the pot with water and then bring herbs and water to a boil and let it cook until the water is very dark. I let cool and then pour it over my scalp and dreads. And my goodness I feel so refreshed. This kinda treatment is great during the hot summer days. Just a extra minty herbs to take away itchy scalp.


























I posting some photos of my dreads now that they have lost quite a bit of length but I still love them no matter what. I am not all about wishing my hair is longer I am all about loving they are getting healthier and stronger. You are never to old to learn something new! check http://www.dreadlockssite.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment